Sage Family Southeast Asian Studies Scholarship
The purpose of the scholarship is to support travel and study abroad in Laos (and neighboring countries of Southeast Asia) for undergraduate students at Arizona State University. The Sage Family Southeast Asian Studies Scholarship is a tribute to William W. Sage’s interest in and lifelong work in Laos and Southeast Asia and is provided in loving memory and honor of his parents, Lloyd G. and Twyla M. Sage.
- Students of all majors are invited to apply. Some prior study of Southeast Asia at ASU is preferred, but not required.
- In order to receive funding, the selected recipient must be enrolled as a full-time, undergraduate student at the time of application and have completed at least 56 semester hours or four (4) semesters of study.
- By signing the application, applicants agree that, if awarded the scholarship, they will: 1) spend at least half of their scholarship-funded trip in Laos; 2) submit, within three months of completing the scholarship, a trip report of approximately six pages (c2,000 words) reflecting on their trip and its lessons; and 3) make at least one public or classroom presentation at ASU about their experiences.
- By signing the application, each applicant agrees to: 1) apply for and receive a Passport; 2) abide by the laws of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic and other countries in which they may travel; 3) comply with the Arizona Board of Regents Student Code of Conduct; and 4) enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) recommended by the ASU Study Abroad Office, https://studyabroad.asu.edu/.
- Financial need is not required. It is suggested that students inquire at the ASU Financial Aid Office if there is a question as to whether receiving this scholarship will impact their financial aid.
- The completed Sage Family Southeast Asian Studies Scholarship application.
- The applicant’s name should appear at the top of each page.
- A copy of a transcript that includes grades from your most recently completed semester (unofficial copies are acceptable).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from professionals/professors who can attest to the potential for success in academics at ASU and the character of the applicant. Each letter should be written on letterhead stationery and submitted to Asia@asu.edu with Sage Scholarship on the subject line.
- Transcripts or letters of recommendation being sent under separate cover must also adhere to the deadline of January 17.
- Applications may not be faxed. The application may be submitted electronically to Asia@asu.edu (with Sage Scholarship on the subject line)
- The application form and all required attachments must be submitted by January 17, 2020.
Sage Application 2020
Please see the application below.