Summer Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Award
DEADLINE: Extended Deadline February 7th, 2020
The Summer Foreign Language and Area Studies award provides eligible students with a $2,500 stipend and up to $5,000 in summer tuition to go towards a summer intensive language program of their choice in Asia.
Please note that the $5,000 will only be applied towards tuition and fees, and does not cover housing, travel, or meals which are often included in study abroad program costs. The stipend may be used to cover the costs not included in the tuition portion of the scholarship.
- Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Applicant must be eligible to receive an Arizona State University tuition scholarship
- Applicants must be prepared to enroll in the intermediate level or above. (For graduate students already proficient in one Asian lanuage, some exceptions apply.)
- Students must enroll in a program of intensive study for at least 6 weeks. The program must offer at least 120 contact hours of instruction at the advanced level.
- Students may apply for FLAS fellowships at any institution that offers FLAS summer fellowships.
View recommended programs here.
Keep in mind that the application process to the summer intensive language programs is separate from the FLAS application. Make sure to check the programs's website for information on their academic calendar, application deadlines and program costs. It is the student's responsibility to apply for admission to the summer intensive language programs.
Applications must be submitted to Asia@asu.edu by 11:59 pm on February 7, 2020 in combined PDF form according to application instructions.
Applicants must have 2 letters of recommendation, a language evaluation, and a 500-word statement of purpose. Applicants must have at least 2nd-year knowledge of the language in which they are applying for.
Download application materials here: